Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ellen DeGeneres New Idol Judge


Ellen DeGeneres is the new American Idol judge to fill the Paula Abdul seat. I think it's a great fit. Ellen is so well-loved and her comic sense will add to the cast. I think she'll has the tack and honesty to make a very good judge.

But, my beef with American Idol is that it's really a voting contest as with all the talent contests where viewers decide the winner. The last season of "Dancing With The Stars," "So You Think You Can Dance" and "American Idol" were disappointing because the talent was exceptionally good and the winners, while they were good were chosen based on popularity and not the best or even second best in my opinion. This is a reality that I've come to terms with in watching these seeming talent competitions. I usually avoid the finals and not invest in who the winner will be because it's about votes over talent. This won't ever change, so I might tune in early, but no more finales. I missed "The Fashion Show" finale and was pleasantly surprised when viewers chose the fashion designer Anna as the winner in the new Bravo reality show that replaced "Project Runway." So sometimes there's a happy ending, someone's always going to be disappointed since there can only be one winner!

I believe Ellen will blend in well and offer some of the comfort that Paula offered to nervous and vulnerable contestants.

No comments: